Friday, March 11, 2016

11 March - Warburton

A medical appointment planned for today fell through and provided an unexpected opportunity to get on the Honda for one of my favourite rides - the Warburton bakery. The weather started off cool and foggy but the clouds soon parted and produced a bright warm day. Almost no traffic on the roads and I was able to cruise along at a snail's pace to really enjoy the day and my surroundings. Lunch and coffee at the bakery were excellent as always and by 1 pm it was time to turn back and head for home. On the way back I took the opportunity to get some closeup photos of the static locomotive display in Noojee. These old relics of the past have always fascinated me partly because I can remember travelling on steam trains which makes me a relic of the past too.
Only one event threatened the serenity of the day. Entering Noojee the engine suddenly stopped and resisted all attempts to restart it. My immediate thought was to call 'road side assist' but then the methodical part of my brain kicked in and I checked all the things which can kill the engine. I got it in one - the 'kill switch' was in the off position which was a complete mystery. The only explanation I can think of is that someone fiddled with it while the bike was parked and left it in an intermediate position. A bump in the road was then enough to move it to off. Glad I checked before calling for help.

Reached home around 3:30 after a very relaxing and enjoyable ride.

Total Distance 270 km.

5 comments:

  1. Such a cool picture.

    Good job checking the kill switch first. Hubby's buddies used to take great pleasure in reaching over and flipping each other's kill switch just as a stop light was turning green. Ahh boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love seeing old railroad rolling stock, whether in photos or in person.

    Great capture indeed, with--presumably--the sun being eclipsed by the headlight, or did you employ some post-processing trickery? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photo! I also like steam trains. Are there any still running out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still a few steam trains running but they are not part of the official rail system. They tend to be bits of lines taken over and restored by volunteers.

      Delete

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.