Saturday, August 1, 2015

1 August - Winton Qld


Left Mt Isa this morning at 8:45 to continue our trip back to the coast at Rockhampton. By 3:15 we reached Winton and called it a day. Winton is famous for a couple of things. About 300 million years ago an asteroid struck the area releasing an amount of energy equivalent to 650 Hiroshima atomic bombs. Also a number of important dinosaur fossils were discovered here including that of 'Elliott' a sauropod. Since then the finds have been so numerous that Winton has become known as the Dinosaur Capital of Australa. Tomorrow we have a much shorter run to Longreach where we want to visit the Qantas museum and the Stockmans Hall of Fame.

1 comment:

  1. All of this history and info on Australia that I've never heard about. I guess too much sleeping in class…

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.