Monday, May 11, 2015

10 May - Queensland Trip - Summary

Checking the SRA forum site I see that all my riding companions (except one) of the north bound ride have returned home safely. One of our mates John was visiting friends/family and expects to be back in Vic this week. Now that I've been home a couple of days it seems timely to summarise my thoughts of the trip. First, a couple of maps of the outbound and return trips.
Northbound
Sunshine Coast Rides
Southbound

Observations/Lessons

  • All the Honda Shadows performed flawlessly. One bike with an after market air filter got a bit waterlogged in the very wet weather but this was easily resolved
  • Riding in a group is fun in terms of companionship and the sense of 'sharing' the adventure but on the other hand riding solo gives greater freedom and a greater sense of achievement
  • Rode through the worst weather possible and all the wet weather gear and luggage worked well.
  • Heavy rain AND dwindling daylight is a scary combination. Need to upgrade the headlight brightness on my bike.
  • It is important to stop and change clothing if temperature drops. During the ride from Sydney to Goulburn the temperature dropped at least 10ÂșC. In trying to get to Goulburn before dusk I didn't stop to add a layer of clothing which was a mistake
  • Felt no discomfort from the Shadow's stock standard seat even on the longest leg which was more than 700km.
  • Almost got the 'pack list' right - one or two items too many

2 comments:

  1. A nice summary of your road trip.

    Glad all the waterproof gear lived up to its claim too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.