Sunday, February 12, 2012

11 February - Grand Ridge Road (continued)

Despite a weather forecast of rain and possible storms skies in Traralgon looked reasonable and so, out came the KLX for a trip to the last part of the Grand Ridge Road from Mirboo Nth to Seaview. All went well until about halfway down the Grand Ridge Rd. As I stopped to take this picture I could see the rain approaching so on with the wet weather gear. That worked a treat because it stopped raining immediately. Had a very pleasant run into Korumburra and as I stopped for lunch at the bakery cafe I ran into three local Ullysians who invited me to join them at their table. We had a great chat over lunch, and I was almost convinced that I should be riding to Mildura in March for the Ulysses AGM. After lunch, the wet weather gear was packed away again and once again it had the expected affect. Between Mirboo North and Boolarra the sky turned black with streaks of lightning. Nowhere to stop to don the gear until I got to Boolarra. This time I was glad I put it on - it poured all the way to Churchill and quite a few lightning flashed too. Despite the deterioration in the weather the ride was very enjoyable. I can certainly recommend this bit of the Grand Ridge Road even on a road bike. There are a couple of stretches of gravel but these are quite manageable.

Total Distance 225km.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.