Sunday, August 15, 2010

15 August 2010 - H.A.R.T. Course in Kilsyth


Woke up this morning and used the only 5 minutes of dry weather to take a photo of the Alpine Retreat Hotel, before setting of for Kilsyth some 40 kms away. Halfway there it started to rain and basically the rain continued all day. The advanced rider training course was terrific. Three other students and I rode with 2 instructors through all sorts of situations - busy urban traffic, country roads, multilane highways stopping regularly for questions and feedback on issues such as situational awareness and hazard identification. The continual rain certainly added a degree of complexity but I think we all handled it very well. It was very gratifying to find my wet weather gear worked perfectly and the panniers remained dry too despite at times very heavy rain. The only issue which will need attention is the visor fogging up. The training course finished at about 2:30 and it was time to head home. Back to the Yarra Valley for the return trip through Yarra Junction, Powelltown, Noojee etc. It rained steadily all the way home but it was still exciting to ride along this road through the forests and the mountains. Almost a mystical experience. Altogether a tiring but very rewarding weekend.

Total distance 270km

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.